The restoration and renovation of this 1916 historic Gothic cathedral-style church included changes to the worship space to provide a suitable environment for modern liturgical services; interior and exterior restoration; provision of a new handicapped accessible entrance adjacent to the parking area; upgrading the building for code compliance; analysis of efficiency and energy usage of existing mechanical and electrical systems; lighting system improvements; and site improvements, as required. All of these concerns were addressed within the context of providing for future needs of the parish while respecting the historic fabric of the building. All modifications to the interior of the structure were designed to be reversible and non-destructive. Presentations to the congregation were made through the use of photographic composites that allowed the congregation to visualize the final design. This project was featured in the May 2000 issue of the Environment & Art Letter and was awarded the 1999 Edwin F. Guth Memorial Award of Merit for Interior Lighting Design.Project Team:
Architect: James Hundt, Foresight Architects
Liturgical Design Consultant: Richard S. Vosko
Interior Stained Glass: Cohoes Design Glass Associates, Inc.